“In your light I learn how to love.
In your beauty, how to make poems.
You dance inside my chest
where no-one sees you, but
sometimes I do, and
that sight becomes this art.”
― Rumi

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Maladjusted

I slip out for a walk
when no one is looking
with my magic lasso
for company

It hums overhead
as I take aim
and let go with
rather unnecessary
brutality

I do not watch
as it snakes up
beyond the clouds
and the inconsequential
pretend-layers of the ionosphere

but kneel down to drive
a stake through
my leaden heart - a convenient
anchor for that rope in flight

As it finds its prey
I pull - with all my heart
and drag down the stars
one by one

to trample,
strangle them
quietly till their
dim lights shine
no more

I love the darkness
that drips on to the stake
and climbs up the rope

to swallow the world -
now free of those
annoying little stars


(Inspired by Sherman Alexie, but of course nowhere near as good)

No comments: