“In your light I learn how to love.
In your beauty, how to make poems.
You dance inside my chest
where no-one sees you, but
sometimes I do, and
that sight becomes this art.”
― Rumi

Sunday, December 31, 2006

giving in to beauty

there are very few things that make me want to close my eyes and give in to overpowering beauty

it may be something from a book or a poem:
Kahlil Gibran writing about death
William Golding in the closing lines of Lord of the flies
Samuel Shem in that final breathless nonstop flourish in House of God

it may be music:
Barber's adagio for strings
Tracy Chapman - the most beautiful and perfect voice ever
the twisting and turning soundscapes brought to life by Counting Crows

rarely it may be a movie:
that final scene from Edward Scissorhands
Donny Darko, especially when Gary Jules sings in the background

OR

what I saw today, arguably the best movie I have seen in a long time:

Pan's Labyrinth

I won't spoil it for anyone

but it is so perfect and beautiful and fantastic and imaginative...

1 comment:

murali said...

I never liked Donnie Darko! What is so special about that movie? and It became such a cult phenomenon. But Pan's Labrynth sounds cryptic, hmmm...

Anyway, Happy New Year!