“In your light I learn how to love.
In your beauty, how to make poems.
You dance inside my chest
where no-one sees you, but
sometimes I do, and
that sight becomes this art.”
― Rumi

Monday, December 11, 2006

Saying it as it is

'I have, for years believed that a man should be thoroughly educated or not at all. The middle way ... produces anonymous competent mediocrity, enslaved to technology and efficiency'
- Neville Cardus (the greatest cricket writer in history)

I think I should elaborate on this. There seems to be the danger of reading this out of context which may seem insufferably snobbish.
When I came across this, I felt it summed up a problem that I am very concerned about and which is likely to have a far reaching knock-on effect on society. These lines, written more than half a century ago seemed uncannily prophetic - about the current state of medical education.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what if, upon setting out on one's education, you don't know if you have the ability to make your education a) poor b) mediocre or c) good? Do you set out at all in case you don't make 'Good' and can only make 'mediocre'? Who decides? We'll end up with a small well educated arrogant self perpetuating ruling class and a huge mass of uneducated people with no self esteem. Is this desirable? I don't think so. Let's hope he knows more about cricket than human nature...