“In your light I learn how to love.
In your beauty, how to make poems.
You dance inside my chest
where no-one sees you, but
sometimes I do, and
that sight becomes this art.”
― Rumi

Sunday, September 09, 2007

a friend-shaped hole

It is an interesting time when your close friend gets married. There is all the excitement and the tongue-in-cheek banter and the preparations. Underneath it all, there is also a slight feeling of unease - a burst of 'what-if' bubbles pop up in my mind:

what if she is reserved
what if she already has HER circle of friends
what if she is jealously possessive (er... a bit like I am)
what if she does not like OUR circle of friends
what if she misunderstands our (my) enthusiasm
what if she does not love him like we (I) do
what if she rearranges his life around her to the point of unpleasantness
what if she makes him disappear from our (my) life

underneath all the surface cheer, there is this never ending series of tiny worry bubbles fizzling away

and then, in a matter of minutes, they are swept away for ever

a smile, a half hug, a few words, his happy face

that's all it takes - for me to know that she fits in-

-to his life... our life... my life

welcome to our world - we need you

to complete us

to fill a friend-shaped hole

perfectly, gracefully, beautifully

look after him for me, won't you

No comments: