“In your light I learn how to love.
In your beauty, how to make poems.
You dance inside my chest
where no-one sees you, but
sometimes I do, and
that sight becomes this art.”
― Rumi

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Itching for more

I heard on Radio 4 the other day that the average duration of marital bliss these days is three years - after which the relationship apparently starts to fade in all aspects as the partners drift apart in body and soul - the three-year-itch, as it is known

It will be four years of married life for me in a few months, so maybe this is a good time to air out my feelings-cupboard

Rather than clothe my thoughts in grammar and syntax, I think it is best to let the bottom shelf of my brain take over, hippocampus and all

so here goes:

I love her, for she is my little golden girl
she understands me completely - including my annoying lack of understanding
she accommodates me, my imperfections, my selfishness, my jealousy, my aggression, my fears, my insecurities - she bathes them all in her love
songs remind me of her smile, I love the way her eyelashes tickle my cheek, I love the way her hands disappear in my paws, I love the way she trusts me, I love the way she is there for me, I love the way she kisses me with her eyes from across the room
I love her strength of character, I love her drive and her confidence, I love her in pigtails, I love her smile when we dance, I love the way she looks good so effortlessly, I love the way she walks into little perfume clouds, I love being her clumsy beast
I love her directness, the way she tells me I have bad breath and gets me to brush my teeth, I love her with long hair and short hair and oh, did I mention, I love her in pigtails
she sees the little boy in me when I am ill, she holds me like a baby when I am sad, I feel safe with her and I love her for that

and so...

I give you my life - with all it's ups and downs
I give you my soul - a spaghetti ball of love and hurt and anger and sloth and lust and laughter
I give you my unsolicited opinion, my concern and my worries, my moodswings and my misgivings
I give you my right hand and my grimace to open all your pickle jars
I give you a hundred and seventy nine centimetres for all your hard-to-reach issues
I give you my skills with the cordless drill, the vacuum cleaner and the retractable tape measure
I give you my body fat and my halitosis

I give you - only you, for now and forever, my animal shivers

and I promise you - I will scratch your itch away every year

I guess the link below says it more beautifully, so I'll stop now
(the video looks best maximised)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjDojEOiMcE

No comments: